Thursday, July 28, 2011

Jingle Bells!


I know I'm crazy but I keep thinking about Christmas!

There is so much going on during the Christmas season with all the detailed planning, gift buying and wrapping, writing our annual Christmas letter and preparing our Christmas cards, baking & frosting our sugar cookies and, of course, decorating everywhere that I decided to start working on my Christmas crochet projects now.

As you all know, I just finished crocheting "Candy Cane", my red and white ripple crocheted throw, (read about it here) and I could barely wait to start my next one.  

I've named this ripple throw "Jingle Bells" and it's in Christmas color bands of white, red and lime green.  

Pretty simple color pattern... but I really like it.

Yarn used is Caron's Simply Soft 100% acrylic in yarn colors of red, white and limelight with an H hook size.




I knew right away which ripple stitch I wanted to use for this one.  

I picked the "Granny Chevrons" ripple stitch... another great ripple stitch from Jan Eaton's book "200 Ripple Stitch Patterns".   

It's so easy to crochet and I'm loving the look of this stitch.  



This stitch pattern is multiples of 23 plus 2.  My foundation chain is 230 chains plus 2.

It took me awhile to understand what these "multiples" meant.  If you sew it's like a piece of fabric that has a motif design on it (called a "repeat") and you want to make sure your motif ("repeat") looks right when you are done cutting and sewing your project.  In crocheting you want to make sure that your stitch pattern will "repeat" correctly and end nicely.     

I learned from my previous ripple throw that you need to make your foundation chain longer than it's chain length because the ripple effect with its hills and valleys will take up some of your chain length.   

This one came out just right.   




Here you can see the "repeats" between the hills and valleys.

I still have a long way to go to finish "Jingle Bells" but you can get a sense of its pattern and colors from this section.



Stacking the "repeats"!


Oh, how I love these Christmasy colors!


How do you like my Mr. & Mrs. Santa Claus Creamer and Sugar Set?

I bought this set from Avon in 1983!

Avon sells beauty products, jewelry and cute little things like this.  You can visit their website (here).  And, no, they didn't pay me to say this.  

Please join me for:

Cindy at My Romantic Home for Show and Tell Friday
                                Courtney at French Country Cottage for Feathered Nest Friday

Wendy at The Shabby Nest for Frugal Friday
 Donna at Funky Junk Interiors for Saturday Nite Special
Cielo at The House in the Roses for Show Off Your Cottage Monday


By the way I hit a milestone yesterday....300 followers!

That was exciting and what a thrill for my little blog!

Hugs to all my followers!
   

14 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the big 300! I always enjoy my visits to see what you are working on next. The sugar and creamer are adorable, don't think they still have anything like that any longer. xo,

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's never to early to think about Xmas when working with great colors like these. I love that the green is lim-ie too. Congrats on 300.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these colours together. Mr & Mrs Claus are so cute that I need to find something like them (slowly building a collection)

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! You have been busy...I love your Candy Cane blanket and your latest creation will look spectacular too.

    I really need to get my fingers out and do some crochet again.

    xxh

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have inspired me to try the ripple stitch again, granny style. Using lime green instead of a dark green really makes your afghan cheerful. It will be wonderful to see how you finish this one.

    Happy 300th!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd swear you were just packing up all your Christmas decorations and putting them away! LOL. My how time gets away.

    Love, love, love your Christmas Granny Ripple. The colors are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this! I just found your blog. No matter what time of the year, Christmas colors are always fun and it was just Christmas in July!
    Susan :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks cute! I'm thinking of Christmas myself.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ciao,amo il Natale,sono capitata qui per caso,ci si sente a casa,c'è molto vintage,a me piace.Un saluto,Rosetta

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your work inspires me! Well done! x

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVE it ! This fellow hooker, recently found your blog and is "hooked" (pun intended !) !!

    thanks for sharing,
    gena

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just love this although, at 90 degrees today, it is kinda hard to imagine Christmas is just around the corner.

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOVE this blanket, too! I just got Jan's book in the mail and this was one of the patterns that caught my eye - I love seeing how you've combined the colors your blanket! I bet is super soft and snuggly with the Caron Simply Soft yarn, too. TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would love to know how you did the edging. I want to make this for a friend who loves Christmas all year round and who does dialysis. I can not find the written pattern anywhere. Please help!!

    ReplyDelete